Changes to Lock Glyphs in Cataclysm
~3 Minute preview of (a mage) New Glyph UI!
Coming soon, we'll get 34 glyph options (7 Minor, 14 Major and 13 Prime). Most of the Prime glyphs are existing Major (3.3) glyphs, so you'll need to move them around from your major slots to the Primes.
Prime glyphs aren't going to be exciting in a 'change up your rotation' style. We want primes to be unambiguous dps (etc.) increases so we figured they might as well be easy to understand rather than something so convoluted that everyone would just go to a fansite to see which 3 to pick.Here are the Glyph changes as of today:
The majors are more interesting, because they are either not dps increases at all, or dps increases in ways that are tricky to math out. We think players will debate and geek out more about which majors to use, and with the new glyph design, swapping them out once in awhile isn't very painful.
Minors are basically convenience or fun.
- Chaos Bolt - moved to prime
- Conflagrate - only reduces CD, consumes Immolate
- Corruption - moved to prime
- Bane of Agony - name change only
- Felguard - only improves Legion Strike spell, not all damage
- Haunt - moved to prime
- Immolate - moved to prime
- Imp - moved to prime
- Incinerate - moved to prime
- Metamorphosis - moved to prime
- Lash of Pain (fka Quick Decay) now buffs Succubus
- Shadowburn no CD if fails to kill target below 25% (instead of slowdown)
- Unstable Affliction - moved to prime
- Fear - target doesn't run around, but trembles in fear (10s cd)
- Life Tap - reduce cd of spell, removes SP boost.
- Soul Swap (fka Searing Pain) - leaves dots on source also, increases CD to 10s.
- Shadow Bolt - reduce mana cost to 15% from 10% in 3.3
- Soulstone - change in amount of health recovered.
- Seduction (fka Succubus) - only name change
- Drain Soul - returns mana (upon death of target) instead of extra shards
- Health Funnel (downgrade from major)
So, what does this mean for Elk? In Wrath - Affliction build, he's running major glyphs of Haunt, Life Tap and Quick Decay. It appears that LT and Quick Decay are not going to have any spell power boosts, so I'll be swapping them out for something else.
- Haunt - move to prime
- Bane of Agony - add to prime
- Quick Decay - out major -> Corruption - in prime
- Life Tap - out major -> Soul Swap - in major -- this one looks promising, as my biggest complaint with Soul Swap was that the former target lived on and now lost dots, dying slower.
- Fear - add to major - understand Cataclysm is going to need more CC, this is perfect!
- Shadow Bolt - add to major
- Chaos Bolt - move to prime
- Conflagerate - out of major -> Imp - into prime
- Incinerate - add to prime
- Soul Link - add to major
- Howl of Terror - add to major
- Shadowflame - add to major